Wednesday, August 20, 2008

This 15th August

The national holidays have always been important for me. Back in school it used to be the prestigious NCC parade; and after that a flair for patriotic films and music.

I didn’t expect 15th august 2008 to be so different in spirit. This unusual national holiday came to me thanks to the late train booking that saw me on-board Ahmedabad Passenger train from Surat to Ahmedabad. This was my first time on this kind and as usual I’d booked myself online and was carrying the sheet along as the testimony of my constitutional and legal right towards seat number 35 in S1. Constitutional rights - b**lls. Legal rights - ditto.

After claiming my seat from a man and a child (no poetry here), I was surprised when the kaka started to rant that it doesn’t matter who booked the ticket, the whole of train is a common one for all passengers. And finally I was awestruck when a couple of ladiez claimed my seat as well. I was in half-mind whether to fight and push them off from my seat or to bear their presence on the crammed seat. I found myself fighting them off and showing them the ticket that bore the number in question; with the lone support of a passenger in my coupe.

I couldn’t help but think how a fresh civil engineer would feel in presence of a toughened and experienced supervisor! Foolish is one way to put it. I know I was down ‘cause I didn’t dare to push them off my berth and so atleast managed to make them feel guilty (or so I believe) by emphasizing my right on the seat they were on. What was absolutely stunning was that the people around (which also included the usual nuisance pass-holders) assumed it their right to encroach upon someone’s seat rather than requesting and getting that leeway! As a result, on a seat of 2, we were 5 people crammed up – though I had had the best share of the seat!

I can’t still make up my mind whether I was right in feeling the disbelief cum anger cum frustration towards them or not! I still am torn between Ayn Rand and Jawahar Nehru…

1 comment:

  1. Hindustani har situation main ADJUST kar hi leta hai....
    Happy Independence Day!!!

    Do you remember our whole day journey in Gujarat Express from Mumbai to Ahmedabad, way back in 1999. I still do, that was my first and last DAY journey in train...I learned my lesson then to check the timings PROPERLY before booking the tickets.

    Anyways, I think DAY train journeys in India is a different world all-together....will try my best to board harmari railgadi again...but mentally ready hona padega...

    ReplyDelete