Thursday, February 12, 2009

Brand-Gandhi Erosion

I’ve always considered Gandhi as one of the biggest Indian brand. Nothing derogatory about it trust me; I’m myself an ardent admirer of him. But all that I’ve read of him (and I’ve read good), I’ve known him to be a cunning politician and a damn good strategist. And if I use the same shrewd analysis, he’s (also) an Indian brand.

It’s my love for Gandhi and for the field of Marketing that made me abhor the way ‘Gandhi Mela’ has been organized in Surat. The contrast is sharper when it’s sandwiched between the just concluded ‘Trade Fair’ and fast-approaching ‘Vyapaar’ exhibitions (and all three being put up at the same premises).

The organizers believe Gandhi is all about swadeshi, but they’ve put up completely vernacular and shabby exhibition. He preached autonomy but not low quality. Each of his political and national movements (even Upvaas) was well-thought of and well-timed. (Those who’ve read him would well recall that when he took it up the first time, it’s the mass effect of this tool that appealed him rather than Jesus Christ like I’ll-suffer-for-them philosophy.) Gandhi was (very) modern in his thought process and would have known that packaging and appearance will have to be smart enough to appeal the masses today.

The starkest thing that I noticed was the skew ness of the crowd there. almost the entire exhibition was made of students from government or trust-run schools, elderly and dilapidated people, social workers and government officers of the obscure departments like Khadi Board, Alternate Energy department, etc. where’s the college-going youth, the office-goer, the urban middle-class, the school kid (who has a brighter chance to represent the country and society in the international forum)?

They are missing the target by a long-shot.

7 comments:

  1. the college-going youth, the office-goer, the urban middle-class, the school kid (who has a brighter chance to represent the country and society in the international forum)?
    WHY JUST THEM??

    students from government or trust-run schools, elderly and dilapidated people, social workers
    AND NOT THEM??

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's not these OR those.. the polarization of the masses was striking for me..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont agree anyone is missing any target.

    Gandhi has always seemed to me like the elephant that four blind men touch...he means different things to different people. For you, he represents the state-of-art politician, to the organizers of the mela he represents swadeshi, to the makers of Lage Raho Munnabhai he represented a concept that could be sold to millions, and for yet others he represents the killer of a would-be Hindu nation.

    Why expect any one entity to represent Gandhi in his entirety? The target you speak of is a moving one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, he has his place. On the currency note! Unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stumbled onto your blog through Ashlesha's.. Do checkout my photoblog on Surat. www.suratfirst.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete