Wednesday, December 24, 2014

The changing facade of Surat

I’d not want to get into the cliché blowing of Modi bugle – especially when I see positive change in this entrepreneurial city!

Just the last week it was the fallen parking parapet of my office building – the one of the many that had stifled the road. I was glad the parapet wall made way for the bottlenecked road; though at a measly disappointment of losing my parking space! And today it was the freshly installed signage pointing, thankfully, in all the right directions!

This city (administration), like all the others, keeps abreast of changing times – as much as it can. One of my biggest compliments to it is the keenness to develop recreational spaces in the city. When the Science Centre came up on this very road 5 years back, I was super glad! Such spaces serve not only as recreation but are also a rich source of informal education! And the number of school students visiting it on regular basis, I’m sure it’s serving the right purpose. It has given the city not only a science gallery and planetarium, but also superb places for exhibition, conventions and concerts.


Then came the aquarium where I did 3 trips but came back coz it was pre-booked. This goes on to show how much this city needs such public places and how little has been done about it! Tapi river-front has been another strong step in that direction; hoping many more such come up in the near future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment